Sunday, April 15, 2012

  
Blog # 10 Homework

The information read this week serves to enforce my theology of the purpose of homework and its importance. It also highlights the home issues that cause the homework process to occasionally break and not be as effective as one would hope.

During the Ice Cream Social and throughout the year I find myself explaining to the parents and my students what my expectations of homework are. The third grade team also sends home this information in our parent letter. I painstakingly ensure that I only send home practice of what was taught during the day. I explain that we learn this information and practice it in class, the homework assess the fact that they can retain the information once they have been separated from the information for a few hours. When they turn the assignment in I review it faithfully during my first PD and determine if the subject is to be revisited by the entire class or if I need to pull small groups to reteach the skill. I ask the parents to ensure that their children do the homework but to refrain from doing the homework for them. I explain that I cannot effectively assess what a student retains or  may need more intensive teaching in. I need a complete picture of classwork combined with homework. I do limit the amount of homework and only send home the minimal amount of items that need to be practiced. Reading homework consists of the skill of reading and math the skill we just learned. I give only the smallest number of problems to give me that data required.

     I have a pretty firm homework policy and within the first month of class I normally have 100% compliance. The first missed assignment results in lost recess which is used to have the student complete the missed assignment. The next missed assignment results in losing recess and they call home and explain it to their parents. The third missed assignment (I almost never have anyone go to this point) results in loss of recess, phone call home, and having to stay after school to complete the new assignment. This may seem a little strict, but as long as I'm consistent in the policy, my students and parents comply. At first, I sure my students just don't want to lose recess, after a while they realize just how much they are learning and the benefit of homework.

           The biggest element that is sometimes challenging is to be able to get all the homework graded prior to lunch. That way I have enough information to use the data I've gathered to drive my instruction. I do occasionally have to remind parents to support but not do their children's homework. Good parent /teacher communication is essential to the success of this conversation. I try to call every parent at least once a month to let them know how their student is doing in class. I break up my class list into 4 groups and usually call a group on Sunday evening. I find that when we talk about all the success their child is having it makes it easier to discuss area that may need to be worked on.

I agree that just giving homework as busy work or not reviewing and returning the homework in a timely manner is a waste of time and paper. The use of homework is ineffective unless the information can be used to gather data that guides instruction. In my case the data not only drives instruction for the whole class but I find it invaluable when creating a plan for each individual student.


 
    


1 comment:

  1. Your homework management (along with overall management) of communication and feedback as well as your effort in making sure all students understand the concept is the ideal of why homework is purposeful! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete